Wow. It's big.On one hand you can't help but be impressed with the size and the effort that has gone into creating these temples. On the other hand there are so many and they are so big (as well as the usual Asian heat and peddlers and beggars etc) that it is almost like a bludgeon to your head. And I guess it is reasonably physical as well. I have no idea how far I've walked or how many stairs I've walked up but I feel pretty wrecked. I've seen about 30 temples, terraces, gates, bridges etc over the past two days and have a pretty good feel for the different styles and features.
My favourite, and probably most peoples favourite, is Ta Phrom which was chosen by the french conservationists to be left as it was found half consumed by jungle, with massive buttress roots and strangler figs growing through the stonework. It's been in the Tomb Raider movie so therefore it must be good. My suspicious is that after so many temples people take a morbid satisfaction in seeing one dying a slow death by strangulation at nature's hands.
Other highlights have been just chilling out chatting with various monks, beggars, peddlars and tourists. Some very interesting stories. And of course a very patient dragon fly!
No comments:
Post a Comment