Doing this mountaineering course is probably the most expensive thing I have ever done. Every little thing I need seems to be another few hundred bucks and I can't really skimp on much of it. I am even thinking about buying a new pack just to help fit all of this new gear! I have probably burn about a grand in the outdoor shops over the last two days and man has it been fun!
But finally I figured I had organised everything I needed and did a bit more of the touristy stuff around Christchurch. This included riding the Trams around, visiting the aquarium which houses some kiwi, and then riding the Gondola up to the hills for a view over the city. Pretty nice up there and I was glad to get away from the city for a while. But then I'll probably be glad to get back to the city after a few fortnight in the mountains.
NZ is pretty easy to get around in as everything si so similar to home but I do love some of the little differences - like shopping trundlers instead of trolleys. I have also been practicing saying swapping my i's and e's (eg: I can si sex hids on thes bus) to blend in like a kiwi.
Anyway the YHA in Mt Cook was booked out so I am starting my course straight after I get of the bus. This gave me a free day so I went white water rafting on the Rangitata River south west of Christchurch. I was originally intending to meet up with my flat mate Sam after the course and go kayaking for a few weeks. But he bailed and I think the getting both climbing and kayaking gear across would have been a bit of a challenge. Anyway I had never been rafting so this was heaps of fun. Whitewater rapids seem so much easier in a big rubber boat! Also did a 10m water jump at the end.
See more:
http://www.rafts.co.nz/index.cfm/River_Trip
So thats it for now. Tommorow I head of for the real highlight at Mt Cook and I won't be in contact until the 19th! Then I will pick up a hire car and who knows what I will be doing. I will probably start by heading over arthur's pass and heading up to the north. I hear there is some good climbing in Nelson. We shall see.
Sunday, January 08, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment